HaMercaz—A Community of Support for Families Raising Children with Special Needs
The Federation’s HaMercaz program offers ongoing assistance, advocacy, and support for Jewish families and children with special needs and developmental disabilities such as autism spectrum disorder, Asperger syndrome, and cerebral palsy, from birth to age 22. HaMercaz means "the center" in Hebrew.
866-287-8030 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- A network of community agencies and organizations that work together to address your family’s needs
- Social programs including play days and outings, sibling programs, multi-generational events, and Jewish holiday celebrations
- Support groups and counseling
- Parent and professional workshops
- Connections to Jewish community programs including those at synagogues, Jewish schools, and camps
- About HaMercaz Services – Flyer (Downloadable PDF)
- HaMercaz Resource Guide: Discover organizations and programs in L.A. that can help you and your family
- HaMercaz Resource Guide for Young Adults 18+ (Downloadable PDF)
Mission to Israel
The Special Needs Study Mission was truly an extraordinary week with a high level of emotional intensity and bonding. As a group of 36 participants, we visited almost every corner of Israel looking at innovative programs and services and we were caught up in the passion and commitment for people with developmental disabilities shown by the staff and parents who we met along the way.
Read the Mission Travel Blog here
See the photo slidehsow and read the follow up blog here
Jewish Family Service is the lead clinical partner for HaMercaz. The collaborative includes Jewish Family Service, Vista Del Mar Child & Family Services, Etta Israel Center, Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters, Jewish Free Loan Los Angeles, and the New Jewish Community Center at Milken.
Funding provided by:
The Jewish Federation
The Jewish Community Foundation
Marcia Israel Foundation