With Chanukah in full swing, it’s an appropriate time to reflect on miracles—both the miracle of the oil burning for eight nights, and the miracles we make together every day with the support of our community.
Thanks to our generous donors, this year:
- 10,000 Jews in need within our community received financial assistance, vocational training, groceries, meals, and other services to help them get back on their feet.
- 9,000 children under age 9 received Jewish-themed books and CDs at home and went to over 90 community events through our PJ Library® program in Los Angeles.
- 3,795 elderly Jews in the Baltics received food, medicine and human comfort.
- 2,300 people have visited LAJAC.org—our new Los Angeles Jewish Abilities Center website where young adults with special needs find services to help them live independently and participate fully in Jewish community.
- 1,300 challenged readers and 1,000 reading partner volunteers connected in 75 LAUSD elementary schools through our KOREH L.A. literacy program.
- 40 emergency teams and 100 parent guidance groups were trained and 10 first responder workshops were held so that our family in Israel could receive help in dealing with the ongoing effect of terror, thanks to a Federation-sponsored network of resources for first responders, counselors and municipalities, in partnership with the Israel Trauma Coalition.
- 10,000 Jewish college students on campuses throughout Los Angeles have participated in leadership trainings, celebrated Shabbat and holidays together, experienced Birthright Israel, gained relevant skills to deal with challenging environments on campus, and celebrated their Jewish identities and Jewish life at college.
- 2,300 young adults have come to 75 events and volunteered 650 hours of their time at our 7 community service days through YALA (Young Adults of Los Angeles) for individuals ages 25-40.
BONUS CANDLE—THE SHAMASH!
Our whole Jewish community is safer because of our Federation’s Community
Security Initiative, which strengthens security for Jewish organizations and works closely with law enforcement at all levels. We’ve had 84 site visits to help Jewish organizations better protect themselves.
With your help today, just think of how many more miracles we can create together in 2016!
Thank you for your support of The Jewish Federation. We wish you and yours a very Happy Chanukah!